Statement regarding leaked draft of Australia’s electric car strategy15 December 2020
“Transitioning to electric vehicles is unarguably in our national interest, yet this strategy does nothing to accelerate the process.
“If Australians were supported toward electric vehicles we could significantly reduce respiratory illness in our cities, shake off our fuel insecurity, cut our carbon emissions, and even firm up our grid with a giant collective battery. This strategy does not help us realise this exciting future.
“In the US, drivers are offered a $10,000 tax rebate for buying an electric vehicle, and American consumers get access to much cheaper electric vehicle options because of their long standing vehicle emission standards.
“This strategy leaves Australia miles behind just as the exciting global transition to electric vehicles is picking up pace.”
- Constance correct: electric vehicles set to deliver huge boost to NSW
- New Victorian target and subsidies for EVs could help push Australia back toward the global pack
- Perrottet demonstrates nuanced approach to EV taxation issue, paves way for NSW to seize EV benefits
- 25 Organisations Open Letter: Victoria EV Tax Worst EV Policy in the World
- Labor’s national electric vehicle plan would help Australia catch up to the global pack