Statement regarding leaked draft of Australia’s electric car strategy15 December 2020
“Transitioning to electric vehicles is unarguably in our national interest, yet this strategy does nothing to accelerate the process.
“If Australians were supported toward electric vehicles we could significantly reduce respiratory illness in our cities, shake off our fuel insecurity, cut our carbon emissions, and even firm up our grid with a giant collective battery. This strategy does not help us realise this exciting future.
“In the US, drivers are offered a $10,000 tax rebate for buying an electric vehicle, and American consumers get access to much cheaper electric vehicle options because of their long standing vehicle emission standards.
“This strategy leaves Australia miles behind just as the exciting global transition to electric vehicles is picking up pace.”
- Statement regarding leaked draft of Australia’s electric car strategy
- States’ choice: Abandon electric car taxes? Or abandon 2050 zero emission target?
- Perrottet’s tax idea would seal NSW’s fate as the dirty car capital of the world
- SA Labor shows the way with clear opposition to bizarre electric vehicle tax
- SA becomes only jurisdiction on planet to disincentivise electric vehicles with tax